Saturday, November 17, 2012

Thanksgiving Biographies

In honor of Thanksgiving I want to write about two Thanksgiving-related biographies I have enjoyed:

William Bradford: Plymouth's Faithful Pilgrim by Gary D. Schmidt

I like this biography of William Bradford because it gives interesting details of his early life. Before reading this book I could never picture William Bradford as a young boy living in England.

I also enjoyed reading about the time Bradford and the other pilgrims spent in Holland. There were so many interesting details about the pilgrims’lives before they ever made it to America.

We Were There With the Mayflower Pilgrims by Robert Webb

This book is historical fiction and written for children, but it uses only names of real people. It gives many interesting, true details about the pilgrims, specifically about their trip to America.

 One detail I always remember is the account of a boy named Francis Billington who almost blew up the whole ship while playing with gunpowder.

When I was younger this was my favorite book to read around Thanksgiving. Tonight I started reading it again—to my younger brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment