Saturday, October 27, 2012

God in Evidence Not Seen

Last December I read the most incredible autobiography I have ever read—Evidence Not Seen. It’s the story of Darlene Deibler Rose-- a missionary in Papua New Guinea during World War II.
I’m reluctant to praise this book too highly, because that would defeat the very purpose of the book. I think the purpose of the book is to point people to God.
And that’s what the book did for me.
One of the most important lessons I learned from Darlene’s experience is that faith is believing God is still there even when I don’t feel like He is.
That’s the lesson Darlene learned while she was in solitary confinement. Throughout that time she had been enjoying sweet fellowship with the Lord, and one day as she praised Him for that fellowship, she suddenly felt like she was in a spiritual vacuum. She felt like her prayers were going nowhere.
She was worried until she remembered all the promises of Scripture, and she just chose to believe the Lord was never going to leave her. “Though He slay me, yet will I trust in Him” (Job 13:15). After quoting Scripture Darlene found her faith greatly strengthened, and soon she was experiencing fellowship with the Lord again.
Never have I read a personal account that rings so clearly with truth. Nothing Darlene wrote about her experiences and how God saw her through them seems exaggerated. She pointed me to God.
I saw for the first time how loving God is to His children. I wanted nothing more than to get to know the wonderful God who helped this woman in such a real, powerful way.
Words cannot express well enough the effect this book had on me. The strengthening of my faith, the realization that God is wonderfully loving and powerful, the urge to give myself up completely to Him, was indescribable.

No comments:

Post a Comment