Sunday, September 30, 2012

Gladys Alyward


I recently re-read a brief biography on Gladys Aylward. The book is Gladys Aylward: The Adventure of a Lifetime (Christian Heroes: Then & Now), by Janet and Geoff Benge.

One of my cousins loaned this book to me a few weeks ago and encouraged me to read it. I remembered reading it when I was younger and was reluctant to spend time reading a story I already knew, so I almost returned the book unread.

I’m so glad I finally decided to pick the book up and start reading it. I didn't put it down for the next two hours, and I finished it the next day.

I had forgotten what an interesting life Gladys had.

Gladys was a British, middle-aged, unmarried lady who in 1932, spent her life savings to purchase a train ticket to China so she could be a missionary.

Gladys lived in Yuncheng, China for the next sixteen years, becoming a revered local government official and using her influence to win souls to Christ. She also reformed a prison and started an orphanage. During World War II she rescued over 100 orphans and led them to safety. 

As I re-read her story, I found myself especially drawn into the drama of Gladys’ initial trip to China. I never remembered before how many detours she had while trying to reach China for the first time.

For example, at one point Gladys was held hostage in a Russian hotel until two mysterious Russians helped to smuggle her to a ship dock in the middle of the night. She jumped onto a ship headed for Japan at the last possible second before armed pursuers reached the side of the ship.

I kept turning pages, fascinated by details I never remembered noticing before. This well-written biography drew me into the exciting life God gave to a seemingly insignificant lady from England.

By the time I finished reading this book, I was excited and encouraged, thinking about what God might have in store for me as I seek to serve Him.

This brief biography is enjoyable, enlightening, and well worth a reader's time.
 

1 comment:

  1. It's definitely worthwhile reading books again. I did the same thing with "That Hideous Strength" by C. S. Lewis this summer. I really had no idea what was going on when I tried to read it when I was younger, but it was much more clear this time around, and I'm glad I picked it back up.

    ReplyDelete